In order to attain optimal results, a doctor operating in theatre is expected to maintain the following “rules”.
- Be involved in the preoperative selection and preparation of patients including obtaining of the informed consent.
- As the team leader, maintain strict time discipline and other aspects of good leadership.
- Be familiar with any problems with the theatre set up for the day well in advance.
- Accord respect to all team members.
- Observe the required sterility requirements in theatre.
- Observe the required health and safety rules while operating.
IMPORTANT: In our environment it is mandatory to wear eye goggles and aprons to avoid the dangers associated with blood splashes.
- Operative in the safest environment and not allowing attention to wander during surgery.
- Observe silence and as much as possible avoid discussions not directly related to the surgery.
- Make sure to write own operating notes, or if delegated, make it a point to confirm what has been documented.
- Ensure anaesthetic notes are complete and accurate.
- Do not leave the theatre before the patient unless care has been delegated to another competent doctor.
- Follow up the patient till the time of discharge.
- Conduct regular audits of the surgical team’s work.